Here's my recipe for Nicoise Salad, which I demonstrated on Episode 4 of Foodgasm.
· 1/2 pound small red new potatoes, scrubbed and boiled in salt water, cooled
· 4 large eggs, hardboiled and sliced
· 1/4 pound haricots verts or French green beans, stems trimmed, shocked and blanched
· 1 pound fresh sushi-quality tuna
· 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
· Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
· ½ pint teardrop or cherry tomatoes,
• ½ red onions thinly sliced half moons
· ½ cup Nicoise olives (pitted)
• several leaves of romaine and red leaf lettuce
• 1 cup pesto (recipe below)
• ¾ cup balsalmic vinagrette (recipe below)
Make the pesto (see below) and toss the pesto with the red potatoes and green beans and set aside.
Pat dry the tuna. Lightly coat the tuna with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Grill tuna for good sear marks on a very hot grill pan or grill, about 2-3 minutes each side (this can be done in a sauté pan if no grill pan or grill is available).
Make the balsamic vinaigrette and set aside.
Slice the tuna into thick long strips. Arrange lettuce leaves on the plates and place on top the pesto potatoes, pesto green beans, sliced eggs, tomatoes, sliced red onions, olives and sliced seared tuna. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and serve.
• 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
• 1/4cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• ¼ cup pine nuts or walnuts
• 1 -2 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Lightly toast in a dry sauté pan the pine nuts tills they are golden brown. Then put all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender. Blend till smooth.
• ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
• ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
• 1 teaspoon finely chopped shallots
• dash honey
• salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Whisk all the ingredients together till it’s well blended.
And now all that is needed is some good French bread, and a glass of wine.