Brrrrrrr, It’s a chilly day, perfect for staying snuggled up under the covers. To warm up the house, I thought it would be great to make a nice batch of gooey cinnamon rolls. It’s a great reason to make the house smell of warm delicious cinnamon. These cinnamon rolls are just like those addictive Cinnabon rolls you get at the mall, but way better since they are homemade. So without further ado, here is my recipe for some delicious and gooey cinnamon rolls (best enjoyed while piping hot).
GOOEY CINNAMON ROLLS
1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast or ½ ounce fresh yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup margarine
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine, softened
8 tablespoons margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
- To make the rolls, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl.
- Let sit till frothy (about 10 minutes).
- Add sugar, margarine salt, eggs, and flour, mix well (I mix it in my Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook for the whole time--works just fine)
- Knead in mixer or by hand for a few minutes.
- Put in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, until it is approx 21 inches long by 16 inches wide. A nice big rectangle!
- It should be approx 1/4 thick.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To make filling, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and softened butter in a bowl.
- Carefully spread with a spatula the mixture on the dough. Leave a small space uncover on the bottom, so the mixture has room to spread as it rolls up.
- Working carefully, from the long edge, roll the dough down to the bottom edge.
- Cut the dough into 1 3/4 inch slices, and place in a lightly greased baking pan.
- Bake for 10 -15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- While the rolls are baking combine the icing ingredients.
- Beat well with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- When the rolls are done, spread generously with icing. You can also fill an icing bag with the frosting and drizzle it decoratively across the rolls (or directly into your mouth—this, I find, is quite enjoyable too).
Hope you like the gooey cinnamon rolls as much as I did and the lucky people I shared them with. Remember when sharing food with friends, that FOOD IS LOVE…… so remember to food share responsibly :)