Who doesn't love a snack that is both savory and sweet? And this popcorn recipe is the perfect combination of both. You've undoubtedly had caramel corn before but this one is more of a gourmet caramel corn, which is totally awesome by me.
My favorite nuts are cashews, but feel free to replace them which your favorite nut. This snack is perfect for game night or for a nice movie night at home with your "special friend." Also these can easy be formed into popcorn balls when they are still warm. But watch out, because this popcorn is extremely addictive and disappears quickly. Chomp, chomp, chomp, I do hope you enjoy this sweet crunchy popcorn treat!
Yield: 12 cups
- 12 cups popped popcorn (plain is best)
- 2 cups halved cashews
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 5 tablespons frozen orange juice concentrate, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Place popcorn and cashews in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat butter, brown sugar, honey, orange zest, and orange juice concentrate over medium heat until butter is melted. Bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in extract, salt and baking soda – the mixture will foam.
- Pour syrup mixture over popcorn mixture in bowl; stir to coat well. Spread evenly in a large, rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan, lined with foil and sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake 30 minutes, stirring a few times during baking time, Stir caramel corn as it cools on baking sheet. Store in an airtight container.